[plug] Mandrake mirrors

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Jul 17 00:07:37 WST 2004

Kai wrote:
> Joel Johnson wrote:
>
>> Just installed Mandrake 9.0 on an older laptop (Pentium 1). Mandrake
>> 10 didn't want to install so reverted to the older version. Now trying
>> to do an update but it seems that the Mandrake 9.0 mirror on 3FL is no
>> longer maintained.
>>
>> Does anyone know if I have to use a mirror for Mandrake 9.0 or can I
>> use the Mandrake 9.2 mirror on 3FL?
>>
>> Alternatively, does anyone know of any Mandrake 9.0 mirrors in the
>> WAIX neighbourhood?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Joel
>

> Hi Joel,
>
> I can't help you with the mirror question, but can you let me know what
> laptop you have and why Mdk 10 won't install on it ?
>
> I have an HP NX9010
> (http://www.ht.com.au/Scripts/xworks.exe?PART:M1158#Tof), I've google'd
> and haven't found anything usefull.
>
> James Budworth suggested reburning CD 1 at the lowest speed and see if
> that works, I downloaded and reburned the ISO at my burner's lowest
> speed but I still can't get Mdk 10 Official to get past the initial
> install stage - it hangs at the end of hardware detection.
>
> I would download and burn Mdk 9.2 but I don't have any burnable CD's
> with me and I haven't got around to buying any.
>
> Tomorrow I leave for Karlstad and a mate there has Intel based hardware
> I can test my installations CD's on to see if they work. He also has a
> burner and prolly CD's so I might give Mdk 9.2 a go from his place.
>
> Cheers
> Kai

I, having nothing better to do :-), am installing MDK 10 on my Acer in hopes it will recognize the USB LAN key.  The initial try using the default install resulted in a blue screen with the standard 'X' cursor in the middle which responded nicely to the mouse, but otherwise hung.

The second try, using the text-mode install, appears to be working.  The "Installing" message box is now at 7%.

Having become used to 15-minute installs on my desktop, I had forgotten the hour+ it used to take, and still takes on the Acer (200MHz).

HTH
Jim