[plug] Which Wiki?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Thu Jul 22 16:29:32 WST 2004

On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 01:46:31PM +0800, Adrian Woodley wrote:
>       1. Which wiki would people recommend? I think the two most
> important features are ease of use, particularly a sensible mark-up, and
> good handling of bullets and numbered list.

I use moinmoin for my own notes (http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/).  It
was very simple to install, but the markup can be a bit verbose.  It
uses lots of double and triple quotes, eg '''''foo''''' makes foo bold
italic, and fixed width font is done with {{{text here}}}.

We have an internal twiki (http://twiki.org/) at work.  The markup is a
bit easier on the eye than moinmoin's.

>       2. Is it better to store the wiki in a database, flat file or
> something else?

Both of these store data in files, which is my preference for
simplicity.  Moinmoin stores each revision in a file with a time-stamped
name, and twiki uses RCS files.   You can backup the whole thing easily
with a short shell script.

If you think you're going to be explaining the markup to people, I'd
recommend twiki over moinmoin.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Now there's a violent movie titled, "The Croquet Homicide," or "Murder
With Mallets Aforethought."
		-- Shelby Friedman, WSJ.