[plug] Re: plug-newbies at plug

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Tue Jul 27 08:51:41 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-27 at 10:22, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> I for one and I'm sure a few others here have a situation where they
> aren't "experts" in and yet like me enjoy helping other "newbies" in
> sticky situations.  I find that I often contribute to other forum type
> situations as well because I find information for me and I can offer
> information and I think most people are in the same boat.

Well, while I understand and would like to encourage new users to assist
other new users, it is in the mistakes that get made that learning
occurs. If that learning is without the assistance of more experienced
users, you may get to the situation where incorrect assistance is being
provided.

>From a quality of service perspective, both types of users win by
keeping new and experienced users on the same list.

While I understand that some new users might feel that their question is
too silly or too simple, they should also realise that the experts also
had to go through this phase, to become experts. An analogous example is
that *every* pilot flying a plane, from Cessna to Jumbo had to complete
their first flight. For some it was decades ago, and for some it was
yesterday, but all had to pass through that gate.

So, I'd like to encourage new users to continue to send their questions
to the group and  encourage existing more or less experienced users to
assist them - this is what makes a community. Perhaps if you get
frustrated by the silly questions, ignore them, and similarly, if you
get shot down in flames, think about why you might have attracted the
response you got.

At the end of the day it is very easy for us Internet communities to
forget that at the end of every email (well most ;-) is a human with
feelings and emotions, good and bad days, warts and all.

So, get to it, enjoy your community and go and use Linux!

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..