[plug] Software License Evaluation

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Jun 1 17:58:51 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 13:40, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> The making money AND gpl bit is of course a little scary, BUT , folks do
> make money off it. One could also consider dual licence, ie have a gpl
> version and a paid version that includes a few goodies. That should be
> fine for most folks.

CUPS and MySQL work this way. Note the CUPS in MacOS X was paid for but
the one in Linux is free.

Can you add modules to the software?

Why not make the base xGPL and sell the modules? As well as support and
implemtation services.

Open source software is promoted by the people that use it and the more
people that use it the more promotion it gets.