[plug] maillog errors

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Fri Jun 4 13:35:52 WST 2004

Just came back from the site and we did what you mention unfortunately this did not help.  I also noticed that named is running and cannot load due to the same permissions denied error.
Just a question if the user issued a chmod with no parameters will chmod apply or change any permissions.  I had a look at the history log and saw this command issued.

Thanks

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

>>> marty at supine.com 7:40:58 am 4/06/2004 >>>
$quoted_author = "Jon  Miller" ;

> Client is getting a lot of the following in the /var/log/maillog
> unsafe map file /etc/mail/access.db: Permission denied
<snip>
> Permission for /etc/mail/access.db is
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root          379 May 23  2002 access
> -rw-------    1 root     root        12288 May 23  2002 access.db

which user is sendmail running as? you may want to make the permissions
of access.db 644 instead of 600 or change the ownership of the file to
the user sendmail is running as.

> unsafe map file /etc/aliases.db: Permission denied

looks like a similar problem for the aliases file.

marty

--
You turn around and love's passed you by.
You look to ones you love to ask them why?

"There Goes the Fear" - Doves
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Committee e-mail: committee at plug.linux.org.au