Window managers (was: Re: [plug] net banking)

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jun 4 17:03:25 WST 2004

Trevor Phillips wrote:

| (Disclaimer: Yes, I KNOW some other wm's have similar functionality - I should
| probably check 'em out again one of these days. Any recommendations from
| fellow tab-junkies?)

Ion (from the same authors as pwm) does tabs.  It also has incredibly
bad default keybindings.  You may find its automatic tiling a bit odd
at first, but for most of things that I use (xterms, Open Office, web
browsing) it makes life a lot easier - your window manager does all of
the work in positioning windows for you.  Ion also has a pwm-like
mode, and is very flexible in the ways that you can combine pwm-like
desktops with ion-like ones.

Real purists will shun ion and use ratpoison instead :-)

Cameron.