Searching the archives - was Re: e-mail list etiquette again [was: Re: [plug] packaged brand-name PCs vs custom]

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jun 11 00:35:29 WST 2004

Bret Busby wrote:
| > While technically not searchable, you can use google to search for
| > something specific:
|
| A few days ago, I tried searching using google, with the strings
| "digital camera" and "linux", and the results that were returned,
| included entries from the SUSE and Mandrake lists, but nothing from the
| PLUG list.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=digital+camera+linux+site%3Amail.plug.linux.org.au

Shows a heck of a lot of posts to the PLUG list for me.

I've also read about a mailing list archiver called Lurker.

        http://lurker.sourceforge.net/

It has decent search functionality (something which the current PLUG
archives don't have at all), a nifty threaded display with arrows and
stuff, and generally looks spiffy.  The web site claims that it can
handle gigabytes of mail without slowing down, though whether it would
be practical to run on our 25 MHz Spark I'm not so sure.

Onno Benschop wrote:
| I'm not suggesting that this be adopted, nor that it is the definitive
| list, but perhaps it will assist in the improvement of the signal to
| noise ratio of this list.
|
| Initial modifications made to suit this list:

You mean s/WAMUG/PLUG/ :-P

Cameron.