[plug] [OT] Strange system speeds (And Q3A: Linux .vs. Windows)

Scott Middleton scott at LinuxIT.com.au
Sat Jun 12 10:28:40 WST 2004

<snip>

> No matter which card I put in I get less than 1fps (approx 0.5 ~ 0.2) but
> the same graphics cards in the other system give a steady 29.4 ~ 29.9 fps.
> (using 'timedemo 1' and 'demo four' although the fps fluctuates between 15
> and 50 during the demo)
> Both machines have near identical software setups. Both Windows XP although
> p2-400 is only 2 months old, XP was a clean install. (To bring this back to
> the Linux, p3-667 dual boots and p2-400 may soon become a Linux server and
> used to dual boot)

I had a similar problem with 3d and did the same things, Swapping known
good video cards etc. Can you run all the video tests in dxdiag? I
couldn't (step 7 error). I went up and down DirectX up and down nvidia
drivers and changed to the on-board Intel rage. All to no effect. So i
fixed it the windows way - i reinstalled.  I still don't know what was
wrong, i suspect that one of the Nvidia versions i installed broke the
directx and simply upgrading the directx doesn't work. Fortunately
Windows is usually easy to fix once it is deleted.

Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at LinuxIT.com.au>