[plug] Snappy UI

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Jun 11 16:07:39 WST 2004

I know, the subject isn't very informative, but I couldn't think of
anything else.

I have a Celeron 1.2Ghz with 512Mb of RAM. It has a laptop drive and
runs some abortion of the Intel 815 chipset - it's a Cappuccino TX3 and
it's my workstation. It has to be small because I'm travelling. Besides,
I had a Dual PII-233 before this...

I run Debian testing and my main applications are Evolution, Galeon,
LinCVS, nedit and gnome-terminal.

It's running sawfish and gnome2 (from testing) and a 2.6.5 kernel.

And it's annoying the sh*t out of me.

The interface doesn't feel crisp, it feels like molasses, not something
you could actually time, but just the feel. OO.o takes six years to load
and I'm just not a happy camper.

Some discussion on /. was crapping on about Linux becoming bloated, and
I'm beginning to wonder myself. A system boot takes the better part of
five minutes and all in all it's just not as fast as a bare '95 box
would be...

Now I know that at this point all manner of hands will go up about
security and stability and I'm agreeing with all of you. Why do you
think I'm running Debian and not '95 in the first place?

What I'm trying to convey is a sense of, disappointment, shall we call
it. Don't get me started on double-clicks and copy and paste, but you
get my drift.

I'm perfectly happy with Debian, love apt to death, but I'm just feeling
a little let down.

So, any constructive ideas that won't require me to recompile or
reformat my disk would be well received.

I've considered booting off a Knoppix CD and I'll tell you this: that
boots faster than my machine does from the drive.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..