[plug] Notebooks

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 16 13:42:46 WST 2004

Ben Jensz wrote:
> Centrino has integrated wireless.. heard conflicting reports about
> compatibility with Linux....

> but they are also Pentium-M based so they
> are slower

Compared to a P4 of what clock speed? Clock-for-clock the Pentium M is
in my experience _much_ faster than the P4 or P4M. It's also possible to
use them as laptops not giant-heatsink-on-heat-insulating-pad-on-lap-tops.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that many of the P4 'desknotes' with
desktop P4 chips in them outperformed the Pentium-M based machines by a
lot. The P4m probably does in the high-clocked versions, too, but the
lower clocked P4m and all Celery chips should probably be outperformed
by the Pentium M.

Of course, that's only judging by about 6 laptops I've worked with, some
briefly, so it's far from hard evidence of anything.

--
Craig Ringer