[plug] Gmail Accounts

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jun 21 13:29:22 WST 2004

Trevor Phillips wrote:

> Of course, it depends on usage patterns, but I've found Gmail at home over a
> modem, more usable than Thunderbird+IMAP.

It will, indeed, depend on what you want to do. For me, IMAP has so far
won fair and square, despite most IMAP clients sucking (usually because
they download FAR TOO MUCH when starting a session, insist on
downloading entire messages with attachments instead of just the body,
etc). I couldn't really tell you why, exactly, but I've never found a
webmail interface that I can stand using.

> As someone with a lot of E-mail,
> who likes access to it from all sorts of strange places, Webmail is that
> little more accessible than IMAP.

There is the advantage of access from anywhere. I solve that with https
and Squirrelmail. Sure, squirrelmail isn't nice to use, but I only have
to use it when I for some reason need my mail and don't have my laptop.
SSH + IPv6 6to4 == good :-)

Squirrelmail also plays very nicely with Cyrus :-)

> The main disadvantage/complaint I have about Gmail interface-wise is you have
> to use a TEXTAREA field for composing E-mail. Ugh! ^_^

That'd be my #1 complaint. Also, I find Web UIs generally just can't
offer the little things quite as well - address completion, for example.
I also can't hook 3rd party webmail into my work or personal LDAP
address book.

--
Craig Ringer