[plug] Gmail Accounts

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jun 21 13:47:34 WST 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 13:29, Craig Ringer wrote:

> There is the advantage of access from anywhere. I solve that with https
> and Squirrelmail. Sure, squirrelmail isn't nice to use, but I only have
> to use it when I for some reason need my mail and don't have my laptop.
> SSH + IPv6 6to4 == good :-)

Yeah, I have a webmail client to talk to my IMAP when I'm really desperate.

I'm hoping the full release of Gmail will support IMAP as well (There's
already a third-party hack to give POP access to Gmail. ^_^)

> That'd be my #1 complaint. Also, I find Web UIs generally just can't
> offer the little things quite as well - address completion, for example.

Gmail has scarily effective address completion.

Next? ^_^

> I also can't hook 3rd party webmail into my work or personal LDAP
> address book.

True.
Although again, I wouldn't be suprised if down the track you could get a
Firefox Plugin to do LDAP look-ups for Gmail.

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |