[plug] Top posting?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Jun 22 17:32:10 WST 2004

Steve Boak wrote:

| I had no idea if my mailer (kmail) was set to top-post by default, so I
| thought I would reply to find out. The only 'default' I can see is that the
| cursor is on the top line of the quoted message

FWIW my Mutt does this too.  (Actually it places the cursor at the
"From:" line of the message which is kind of silly because I rarely
want to edit that... this being Mutt, there must be a way of
configuring it better.  Can any guru help me out here?  <looks at James>)

Since it's [a] one key-stroke to go to the bottom of the message; and
[b] normally good practice to snip quotations too, it isn't
necessarily /bad/ to position the cursor at the top of the message by
default.  One of the few things that annoy me more than top posted
messages with one sentence of actual content followed by pages of
quotes are bottom posted messages with one sentence of actual content
preceded by pages of quotes ;-)

| And does it mean I am in the minority if I admit to *reading* my reply to make
| sure it makes sense before sending it?

I do that too.  If only to avoid certain people getting creative when
they quote me :-P

Cameron.