[plug] WiFi advice please?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jun 24 09:57:36 WST 2004

Michael Holland wrote:

| > Nope, not that card.  I have two of their 802.11b cards (only 11mbit)
| > which work fine under Linux -- their drivers are a bit ... quirky ...
| > but do the job and are being actively worked on.  The 802.11g cards
|
| Thats true! I seem to have the PCI one working again, since the OS
| upgrade, with no more kernel crashes :-)

Are you using the new 1.2.0 drivers?  They're supposed to be more
stable and like iwconfig better.  (I haven't tried them yet.)  Somehow
I've managed to avoid suffering from the kernel crashes that other
people have complained about.  It even works for me in ad-hoc mode
even though the Minitar people claim that's broken.

BTW the web site for the new drivers is at rt2400.sf.net

| But the PC-card (pcmcia) one is a problem. The module loads, but the
| lights dont blink, and no radio connection.

That's odd... it works perfectly for me.  I believe I needed to fiddle
with PCMCIA config files somewhere to get it to go.  The range is a
bit disappointing, though; I'm not sure if this is normal for laptop
cards or whether the Minitar is particularly mediocre.

One thing (which presumably you've found if you managed to get any of
them working) is that you need to set the essid really really quickly
after bringing the interface up.  i.e. it works in a shell script, but
not if you're typing commands by hand.

Cameron.