[plug] WiFi advice please?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jun 25 10:49:58 WST 2004

Michael Holland wrote:

| > That's odd... it works perfectly for me.  I believe I needed to fiddle
| > with PCMCIA config files somewhere to get it to go.  The range is a
|
| maybe pcmcia is my problem then. I know nothing about it. Time to do some
| reading. What sort of config changes did you need?

I can't remember.  I copied and pasted some stuff that Bernard had
added to some config file to make a different PCMCIA card work and
changed the driver name...  I don't know if it was necessary or what
exactly it did.

| > One thing (which presumably you've found if you managed to get any of
| > them working) is that you need to set the essid really really quickly
|
| ?! No. I have been just using the RaConfig GUI until now.

I couldn't get Raconfig to compile, so I've been using iwconfig in a
script.

My script looks something like this:

        ifconfig ra0 up 192.168.123.45
        iwconfig ra0 mode ad-hoc
        iwconfig ra0 essid blah
        iwconfig ra0 channel 1
        iwconfig ra0 enc NotTelling_SomeOfYouKnowWhereILive

Cameron.