[plug] oh dear :(

John Usher (Maptek) John.Usher at perth.maptek.com.au
Wed Mar 10 07:43:20 WST 2004

For what its worth, I just booted my vmware linux box, took a snapshot and had a try at getting some stuff working.... Unfortunately I have redhat 9, not gentoo, but took a look to see what I could try.

mkdir /home/shite
cd /
mv * /home/shite

now quite screwed

tried playing with /home/shite/sbin/ldconfig, but had no joy.

Used sln:

/home/shite/sbin/sln /home/shite/lib /lib

Now I can

/home/shite/sbin/mv /home/shite/* /

Lots of stuff is back in its original place.....but I can't move /lib back...

Couldn't 'reboot' had to power off and restart, but its all looking pretty good...

Looks like pretty much everything is back up and working for my vmware system.

If you have .../sbin/sln, you may be in luck!