[plug] Intel NIC's behaving differently ?!

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Mar 15 16:47:26 WST 2004

> Terminal Server = Windows 2000 Terminal Server
> Someone's just borrowed the laptop I was using, I can't remember the
> exact name of the program I was using for remote access but I think it's
>   "Remote Desktop" under KDE's Networking -> Remote Access menu.

rdesktop, then.

Just a wild guess - I think the Pro/100 S has a built-in crypto
co-processor. Perhaps rdesktop (via, maybe, openssl's libcrypto) is
trying to use that hardware acceleration and running into problems with
it.

The "Broken Pipe" would make sense if it uses a helper app to do the
encryption offloading.

Hmm... according to Intel:
"Features IPSec encryption offloading using an integrated security
co-processor."
http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro100s_adapter.htm
so it's /probably/ just used for IPSec.

Nonetheless, that's the main difference between the two adapters you
mentioned. Of course, there's a good chance that the issue has nothing
at all to do with the NICs.

Craig Ringer