[plug] X on Debian stable

smclevie smclevie at ozemail.com.au
Tue Mar 16 10:09:16 WST 2004

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help me...

I am running a stable Debian (2.4.24).  All is well but I can't get a GUI.

My lspci says,

00:02:0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corp.: Unknown device 2572 (rev 02)

My /var/log/XFree86.0.log says it is using "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" and it
lists a great number of things to end with,

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 00:02:0
(EE) No devices detected

My monitor is a crappy old 15 incher and has no APM abilities.

I have enabled what I thought were all the relevant i810 (or other Intel)
features in the kernel.... I may have missed something I don't know.

Can anyone see the problem?

X just flashes the screen blank and then asks to "setup again?"

I will admit to having apt-getted a great number of graphics related bits
and pieces so if any need to be dpkg --purged please also let me know...

Thanks in advance,

Steve