[plug] hello

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Mar 17 23:18:12 WST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:38:08 +0800 Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 21:31, David wrote:
> > hi all
> >
> > when i start up the Browser Galeon it is all right to Browser all the time.
> >
> > BUT WHEN I PRINT FROM GALEON BROWSER IT CRASH ALL THE TIME.

> In order to help us answer your question please provide us with the
> following:

Eep. David's Galeon probably doesn't print because I didn't set it up
properly on the original work on the Computer Angels debian distro :-(

We are starting discussions about a new version with several options
(including a pre-stable debian sarge snapshot). This time round the
plan it so make sure that things like this work (better).

We have the original woody CUPS and also load cupsomatic-ppd but
it's all a bit tired now. We are more than overdue for an upgrade.

Craig has done heaps of work on a neat net bootable installer to
unpack fs images for rapid install. The next stage is creating
the distro images.

Craig has shown that we really need to go up to 64MB as the base system
now which allows headroom for GTK2 and corresponding newer versions of apps
but debian provides "choice" which is a two edged sword. Our novice users
are not going to hack config files together so we have to make integration
decisions for them so it JustWorks(tm).

Many, many, many users will never do a Windows reload and they resort to
friends for support. In the same way any Linux distro can be as simple
or as complicated to install and it isn't relevant to people who
can't/don't load/reload their software.

For people at the Computer Angels participant level, the computer
has to be integrated enough to just work. We can also be confident
that they are in a safer position using Linux than the virii
enhanced alternative.

If Computer Angels can prove Linux in this environment then we
are demonstrating Linux as a viable desktop anywhere really.
For that reason I think we are doing something really important
on many levels.

I'll stop babbling. Except to say thanks to Onno for his mail to
David about testing if the xmms-mp3 was installed. David rang
Computer Angels on Tuesday and I was able to get him to use X
cut-and-paste to copy the command into an xterm so we didn't
have difficulty with | chars etc. It transpires that the software
wasn't installed. I think ymessenger.deb created a folder xmms_mp3etc
rather than requesting a proper package as a dependency. The folder
had an INSTALL script and other files so we ended up deleting the
folder and all is well.

Thanks to everyone who has posted help for David.

All the best
Harry

--
Are you a computer angel?	http://www.computerangels.org.au/