[plug] Newbie Night

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Mar 22 05:50:39 WST 2004

Hi folks,

Seeing that I'm in Tasmania and (most if not all of) you are not,
perhaps it is presumptuous of me to suggest the idea of running a
regular newbie night, but I'm going to anyway...

<http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=04/03/15/2223237>

There is another aspect to this, and that is the trip I'm on around the
country...

Let me elaborate.

This trip is about two things, a change of life-style and an attempt at
returning some of the gifts I've been given thanks to mailing lists like
this one - and countless other experiences since I came on-line in 1990.

I have during this trip spent a week in a rural primary school building
their school web-site (with the whole school - all 24 students from year
1 to year 7). According to both staff and students it was a roaring
success.

Also, I've run a community computer fix-it day, which was not as
successful as I'd like to have seen, but the idea was: "Bring your
computer in and we'll fix it."

Now, a newbie night that comes to a local community, that is something I
can do with what I have in the back of my van.

So...

Firstly, this thread is an attempt at sparking discussion about the
process of running a newbie night, perhaps even run a few in Perth, then
find a way to "streamline" the process and run regular ones on the road.

        What kind of things would you show?
        What would you leave out?
        What is a really *wow* kind of demo?
        What distribution would you show and Why?

Remember, I'm attempting to spark discussion, so, any controversial
contributions are welcome, but keeping it to the topic would be
appreciated...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S41°18'23" - E146°49'07" (Holwell, Tas)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..