[plug] XandrOS 2.0

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Tue Mar 23 23:18:38 WST 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 10:51:58PM +0800, Craig Dyke wrote:
> Does anyone know whether Acer Travelmates inherently have problems with
> Linux?

I have a TravelMate 529 that works just about perfectly. The only
things I can't get working are the internal software 56k modem (not
much hope), 3D acceleration (Mach64 chip, there are patches for X
around, but not mainstream and I don't particularly miss it) and
accelerated framebuffer (driver doesn't like the LCD screen). But
they're the _only_ very specific things I've encountered issues
with.

More recent TravelMates had an i845g graphics chipset which was not
supported until X 4.3 IIRC, but with 4.3, all is happiness and
light. They also had sound drivers that weren't immediately obvious,
but were in fact supported in the main kernels.

I have no idea about the TravelMates being produced right now
though.  http://linux-laptop.net/ might have some pointers though!

Must add though, the construction of them sucks. :(

> He has an Acer TravelMate 250 and after putting CD in the splash
> screen comes up at which point I have tried both Enter and some of
> the other predefined loading options, to only end up with the
> prompt getting to line that says Loading Kernel... and then it
> just hangs :((((

Ugh. I've done Debian, Red Hat and Mandrake installs on this laptop,
as well as booting Knoppix and none had such a problem. I'm not sure
what Xandros would put in their kernels to stop them booting like
that. Try a Debian CD? :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>