[plug] code porting

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Mar 24 07:48:32 WST 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 16:01, Bennett, Phillip wrote:
> Hi all,

> The company I work for is currently trying to migrate one of our systems
> to Linux from (gasp!) SCO.  We have the source code for the program and
> want to port it.

Language?

I suppose there's no
	./configure
	make all
	make install
?? :-(

> Does anyone know who in Perth would do this kind of thing?  That is, if
> there is anyone in Perth for this type of work.

> Also, would anyone have a rough estimate of the cost of such a venture?

How long is a piece of string. :-)

My guess is; start at $10,000 and work upwards. If it takes 2 weeks
to figure out how it's supposed to work, then most of the money is
burned up in that alone.

But then; it might be a trivial port; "done" in 8 hours.

> It's a firly straight forward X based program for logging information and

X-based? I assume CDE or whatever... but it depends a lot on how
much it's tied into the desktop environment.

> printing reciepts of events.  It also runs an ingress database.

Mkay?! CA should have equivalent libraries.