[plug] Re: Upcoming changes to the ECI

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Thu Mar 25 11:25:32 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 10:15, Onno Benschop wrote:
> Today I spent several hours on this problem and have learnt the
> following things:

>       * The ATO states that I need to use their import routine -
>         <http://pki.ato.gov.au/atocertificateimport/welcome.htm> which
>         states that I'm using an unsupported OS. When I proceed anyway,
>         it launches all manner of IE java crap and doesn't work.
This is trying to use the Microsoft JVM, not the Sun JVM. I just tried
it with a machine with IE, and the SUN JVM with no luck. You should
still be able to get the certificate either by asking them to send it to
you (rather than using their installer program) or getting someone
(Perhaps Alex Polglaze?) that has successfully installed it on Windows
to export it (using the Java Console). They just need to export it, and
then you can import it using the java console and the file.
Note: To run the java console in linux run
${JAVA_HOME}/jre/bin/ControlPanel

Is this for running an applet, because if so by allowing them to used
signed applets you bypass java's security sandbox completely and they
can read/write anywhere on your machine (unless you specify in your
java.policy file that you only allow applets signed by 'user'  specific
permissions).

> Any other bright ideas?
Not sure about the brightness, but that's some ideas at least.

Kirk