[plug] Debmirror or what?

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Thu May 13 09:06:57 WST 2004

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 10:59:51PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> I'm looking at making a local debian mirror so shave many minutes off
> the time it takes me to install new machines.

Although it's a pain to setup properly, and you really need to point it
at an rsync mirror (it has troubles with ftp for some reason), apt-proxy
works quite nicely.  It will cache packages as required, rather than the
entire archive (which you probably don't need all of).

It also has the added benefit of being able to cache multiple versions
of packages -- which I would say is a must when playing with unstable.
There's nothing worse than upgrading, only to have to go on a hunt for
the previous version of some package because the new one is b0rked.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | If one studies too zealously, one
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | easily loses his pants.