[plug] Fedora network issues

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Sun May 30 23:33:30 WST 2004

I've been having issues with a box running Fedora.  Basically what has
happened is that the network traffic on the machine has pretty much
stopped working properly.  It was working fine up until Friday morning
and absolutely nothing was changed.  It all of a sudden started dropping
connections that were active (Samba shares, ssh connection etc).  Now
the machine can only be pinged by other machines on the local net, but
when trying to access it any other way the network connection appears to
initially start, but just dies.  For instance logging in via ssh, gets
as far as asking for a username and then the connection just dies
unexpectedly.

Now the other thing is that the machine can't ping anything else on the
local network, apart from the very rare single ping reply from maybe 100
ping requests being sent (and even then it might not reply)... keeps
dieing with "Destination Host Unreachable".  Now this problem has me
stumped for the moment.  The machine is an IBM x235.. so it has onboard
broadcom gigabit ethernet...  I've looked at everything I could think of
on the machine itself to see if I could locate the problem, but
everything seems to be fine (and I hadn't changed anything that morning
anyway).  I've checked network cables, I've put in another NIC to see if
that made a difference as apparently a few people have had issues with
an early broadcom driver (new NIC was an Intel Pro 100+ - so uses a
different driver), but to no avail.  I've done the usual "Windows"
troubleshooting technique (i.e. rebooted it multiple times)... and I
can't seem to figure it out.

Anyone got any suggestions as I'm lost a bit at the moment :o(

/ Ben