[plug] Software License Evaluation

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Mon May 31 17:10:13 WST 2004

Onno Benschop wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> My code has made it into the big league - in a small way - it's bypassed
> the state of "custom solution" and has made it to "application".
>
> I'm having many debates with myself on how I would licence this software
> to the end-user. While I use GPL software everyday, I'm also in need of
> money to pay the rent; I'm not employed by a "rich patron", who can
> afford to pay my bills.
>
> I'm looking for URLs to sites that allow me to evaluate, preferably
> side-by-side some of the licensing options open to me.

Why not release two versions of it like Trolltech or Alladin do, and GPL
one of them with the other one under a commercial licence?  You can
either leave features out of the GPL version or leave it a few releases
behind.  There are no URLs that compare proprietary licences, because
proprietary licences tend not to be free to use (the licences I mean,
not the software), and there are so many variations in what people want.
  The main URL that compares free licences is http://www.opensource.org.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au> Personal: http://www.malcolm.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)