[plug] Linux External Modem

Bob Linus bob0linus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 19:11:32 WST 2004

Any external, esp. serial based modems, should work with Linux.  They
should have their own power supply and connect to your serial port.
They cost around $50-100, unless you get lucky and find a used one
somewhere.

Dicksmiths sold an internal modem for $40 that said it was compatible
with linux on the box.  It caused bios failures on two different
machines, but I think it was an exception.

It may be time to reconsider getting ADSL.  If you spend more than
$30/month on local phone calls just to dial to the internet, you would
spend the same amount for 500% increase in speed and productivity.

iinet.au might have ADSL deals that you could switch to

or

http://westnet.com.au/ is having a deal with free setup and sells $80
ADSL modems, which is the same price you would pay for an external
modem.
http://www.westnet.com.au/products/broadband/adsl/hardware.asp

If anyone knows a better deal, let me know.  I'm new to the area, but
if you do the math, local calls around here add up.