[plug] [OT] List Posting/Replying

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 5 07:46:24 WST 2004

In message <41612A9F.4040307 at tigris.org>
on Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 06:49:03PM +0800, Tim White wrote:
> I'm not sure how Thunderbird threads topics but it seems to follow it
> even with subject changes. It makes me wonder sometimes when I see a
> message under a thread totally unrelated.

I've noticed that the problem is sometimes associated with senders who
are using webmail. The problem is indeed visible in the archives:
http://mail.plug.linux.org.au/pipermail/plug/2004-October/thread.html

> Maybe people are replying to a message and changing the subject rather
> than starting a new message when posting a message to the list.

Thanks for mentioning it -- I imagine a sentence of this nature will
find its way into our upcoming introductory e-mail.

> Maybe some list-post, list-help and list-subscribe[1] headers would be
> useful for new posters?

plug at plug has had some for a year (with both mail and web URLs):

	<mailto:plug-request at plug.linux.org.au?subject=subscribe>