[plug] Suse 9.1 post install issue...

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 10 12:05:19 WST 2004

"Senectus ." <senectus at gmail.com> writes:
>On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 22:57:58 +0800, Bernd Felsche
><bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> "Senectus ." <senectus at gmail.com> writes:

>> >Is there an australian mirror for SUSE YOU ?
>>
>> http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/suse/ is what I use. It's about a
>> day behind the European servers sometimes; usually quite good
>> though.

>Yeah it is good.. quite quick too.
>I think I've nailed it down to one of the non recommended
>patches/updates. (I've done about three installs on my desktop PC
>today.. )
>I'm pretty sure your right about it being a bad hwinfo patch.. but I
>need to do more testing to be sure :-)
>I wish I'd known about the YaST backup feature before now :-P would
>have saved me a lot of time..

>When the "personal" version of 9.2 comes out can I use that to upgrade
>the professional version of 9.1 I have?

I expect so. Previous SuSE upgrades have worked OK. The latest one
from 9.0 Pro to 9.1 Pro worked without any additional effort. There
were issues upgrading before 8.2; mostly due to the change in
default MTA (sendmail to postfix) and the userid mapping conflicting
with normal userids now starting at 1000, whereas up to 8.2, they
started at 500... which now collides with a radius server install.

Usually, I have a set of "alternate system" partitions into which I
can install a fresh version and then migrate the configuration at
leisure.

>As far as I can tell the only difference is that the professional
>version has a lot of extra software on the DVD...

Yes; saves a lot of downloads. Some of the installed packages may
not "upgrade" automatically at first glance; that's my main concern
with the upgrade from Professional to Personal.