[plug] Terminal Server

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Oct 17 02:17:53 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 12:19, Tim White wrote:

[ description of roaming / migrating sessions ]

> So, is this possible under Linux and using XDMCP?

Not at present. There is not much that technically prevents it from
being possible - the X libs even have primitive support for client
migration. Alas, I'm not aware of any X toolkit with functional support
:-(

I understand the NX guys have talked about this, as have Keith Packard
and co. I don't know if anybody has anything working at present.

> If not XDMCP then what?

Currently, your best option is probably VNC (specifically the Xvnc
server), unless someone else has worked some magic I'm unaware of.

> Also, is there an easy way to incorporate Windows clients? i.e. make
> them terminals as well so that no local login is required but is available?

Windows doesn't tend to work well that way in my experience. You could,
however, offer a restricted user guest login that runs a full-screen vnc
session on login. Users would still need to log in, but to a generic
account.

--
Craig Ringer