[plug] My hacker nighting plans

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Oct 21 09:07:44 WST 2004

Bernard Blackham wrote:

> Somebody suggested people post what they were planning to do at the
> hackers night tonight (Thursday), so I though I'd ramble a bit about
> what my potential plans are for anybody who might want to know.

Okay, I might as well do the same.

>  - Start cataloguing (or starting people on cataloguing) the
>    library. Anybody willing to help would be appreciated!

I might also help out a little with this.

Harry and Craig will be there to do stuff to the Computer Angels
distro and I'll probably be suckered into helping with that for a bit,
too.

I also have a project of my own that I intend to work on -- a maildir
synchroniser vaguely inspired by unison but which takes advantage of
the structure of maildirs to get reasonable performance even on large
quantities of e-mail.  (Unison is almost unusably slow on a few
hundred MB of mail but my programme should be pretty quick with >1GB
of mail.)  It needs network code to be written and then lots of
testing to make sure it won't eat my e-mail -- hopefully I'll get it
to a vaguely working state tonight.

Cameron.