[plug] Re: mail-list vs news

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 11 16:44:32 WST 2004

In message <20040911083910.GE11624 at cp.yi.org>
on Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 04:39:10PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Spark doesn't have much disc space left -- about 450mb on / and 200mb
> on /home.

I was thinking that NNTP would have to go onto the xbox, because of the
space limitations on spark and because the server would be unresponsive
when spark is delivering mail through Mailman. However, I don't have
root access on the xbox so I haven't looked at its resources or
proposed any action so far.

> > My wish is for us just to be able to use our Mailman passwords and
> > subscriber addresses (i.e. let Mailman be the authoritative source of
> > permitted subscribers and passwords, rather than creating a separate
> > web interface for creating newsgroup accounts).
>
> Could Mailman and the NNTP server both be set to authenticate from
> one source, e.g. an SQL database?

(a) You can hack it up if you Really Want To, or

(b) We can be apathetic about it until the release of Mailman 3, or

(c) We might be able to hack up the NNTP server to use Mailman if we
    Really Want To.