[plug] Static IP Dialup vs ADSL

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 13 10:20:44 WST 2004

On Monday 13 September 2004 08:32, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > Cheapest static IP ADSL I can get is about $80/month (plus $40/year
> > for subdomain) while preserving my iiNet subdomain.

> How about $40/month for westnet ADSL with static IP and 2GB?
> They'll unblock all ports if you ask.
> Plus $10/month for basic iinet dialup so you can keep the subdomain.
>
> That saves $10/month to pay off your $99 ADSL connection fee.
> Would that work?   (Assumes you have another active phone line.)

How would that work to save the bandwidth consumed by email sent to
my subdomain that is within iiNet?

Unless iiNet change their DNS to point one of their subdomains at an
IP address within WestNet, I don't see that as being a solution. A
partial solution at best, because all the MX records for the
subdomain would have to point outside iiNet to prevent a huge
buildup of emails on their servers if my SMTP server happens to be
offline.