[plug] Static IP Dialup vs ADSL

Michael Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Mon Sep 13 11:27:10 WST 2004

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Bernd Felsche wrote:

> > > Cheapest static IP ADSL I can get is about $80/month (plus $40/year
> > > for subdomain) while preserving my iiNet subdomain.
>
> > How about $40/month for westnet ADSL with static IP and 2GB?
> > They'll unblock all ports if you ask.
> > Plus $10/month for basic iinet dialup so you can keep the subdomain.

> How would that work to save the bandwidth consumed by email sent to
> my subdomain that is within iiNet?

It wouldn't. Why do you care? This is 2004 and the bandwidth of a text
list like this is small, even on 56k dialup, (even today :-)

The point was that you _can_ get ADSL, with your requirements, cheaper
than permanent dialup. And then have much bigger quotas. PLUG mail or nntp
won't even count. "Too cheap to meter".

> Unless iiNet change their DNS to point one of their subdomains at an
> IP address within WestNet, I don't see that as being a solution. A

A solution to what problem? It avoids the miniscule 250MB quota.

> partial solution at best, because all the MX records for the
> subdomain would have to point outside iiNet to prevent a huge
> buildup of emails on their servers if my SMTP server happens to be
> offline.

I just don't see that the volume of PLUG list is that big. What is it? A
few minutes a day on 56k dialup? If you don't want it on the iinet
servers, then just re-subscribe with your new westnet address. Or gmail.

Is your regular (non-list) mail volume too big to forward or POP from
iinet to your ADSL account?

If you are paying for permanent dialup when ADSL is available, I
think you will find that the economics have changed and its better to
make the move.

regards, Mike.

--
        "That's right; the upper-case shift works fine on the screen, but
they're not coming out on the damn printer...  Hold?  Sure, I'll hold."