[plug] New PLUG news server

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 29 14:02:54 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> writes:

>James Devenish wrote:

>> > I'm also content to sit back and let the newsgroups populate
>> > themselves with new messages from the list, unless there's a pressing
>> > reason why I should feed the mail archives into the news server?
>>
>> For completeness, accuracy and thread construction the old articles
>> should be there. If you're content to keep decades of archives, the
>> past seven should be no problem.

>Okay.  I'll look into doing that later today.  Is
>/home/archives/public/plug/ on spark the best place to slurp the
>archives from?  (My own archives only go back to when I subscribed, in
>mid-2002.)

If you're injecting old mbox stuff, then check out "rnews" (part of
leafnode2); which is designed to accept news batches. The headers
will require the usual mangling.

Configure leafnode to accept the old articles. The filter file
usually contains maxage definitions. I don't remember if I tweaked
them for PLUG. You'll find out soon enough if rnews wants to be
strict.

Take the usual precautions and test this on another newsgroup first!