[plug] New PLUG news server

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 30 09:22:38 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick <cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au> writes:

>I've taken that mbox, cleaned it up a bit[1] and imported it into
>a lurker archive on shameless.  I tried importing messages into a
>plug.test.archives group, but messages started getting mangled and
>things look pretty ugly in there.  I'm giving up for the night.

Good.

>Hopefully I haven't broken anything else.

>This may be a silly question, but... how do you delete a newsgroup
>(and all the messages in it) in leafnode?

There's no direct means of actually removing a newsgroup. leafnode
ignores rmgroup control messages inasmuch as it's never bothered to
support them. Well, there are security issues as well!

rm -r  and then beat the living daylights out of groupinfo and
local group definitions :-) Run texpire to clean up.

A "cleaner" method is to set the group expiry to zero days and run
texpire. That should delete all the old (older than zero days)
articles if you use the -f option to ignore last access times. Test
your expiry first using the -n dry-run option!

After texpire has done the deed, delete the corresponding groupinfo
lines and massage localgroups to prevent accepting further articles.
Should texpire fail to clean out the corresponding newsgroup, then
you will have to manually delete the files concerned.

The "delete everything over a day old" should be sufficient for
testing a bulk load of archived articles.