[plug] FTP setup and transfer

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Thu Sep 30 10:27:15 WST 2004

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Debian Linux. Just installed it at the PLUG night.=20

Congratulations it took me over a year to get to the point of actually
installing Debian so you have far out done yourself just from installing
that.  However it was or is possible I was just a bit slow :P

> Just got several questions for you guys. How do you transfer files =
> between Windows and Linux, as I put sharing on several Windows folders =
> networked?

As mentioned samba is the one you would want.

#su -
type your password

#apt-get install samba

> I also need to know how to set up an FTP site. Anyone know how to do =
> that?

The actually program to setup an ftp site or an ftp server is 'rather'
easy with some programs.  You have vsftpd (very secure ftp) and
proftp(d).  I personally found proftpd the easiest to use and setup
however I've heard that I'm just a noob and incompetent because vsftpd
is easy as well.

My suggestion if you've just started go on the debian web site and there
is a link for a reference.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/reference.en.html

Also get to know google well as well as a few linux sites which I can't
remember off the top of my head which will help in your learning.

I find posting generally doesn't need to be done to these websites since
most of the time your questions or the questions you will have, have
already been answered 100 times before so just use them mainly as  a
reference and search.

http://www.linuxquestions.org

Plus the package website that you are having issues with is also a great
place to start since some packages have an unbelievable amount of FAQ
which makes life so /easy/.

Hope this helps and welcome to a new and better way of doing things.

Marc