[plug] OT: Mobile reception boost

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 09:35:22 WST 2005

On Apr 6, 2005 6:48 AM, W.Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> I am in E. Vic Park (same hollow?) and know what you mean.  Metal roof,
> surrounded by metal roofs (signal improves dramatical by going outside).

I live in a shared house with 5 people - 2 With Telstra, 1 with Optus,
1 with Vodaphone and myself with telstra.

Only one of the telstra phones rings consistantly but still has dodgy
receptoin, the rest of the phones exhibit the same symptoms. 'Switched
off or not in a mobile area'

> I moved from telstra to vodafone a while back and signal went from
> borderline + dropouts to reasonable.  Same with Murdoch Uni, had to go
> outside most buildings to get a usable signal, vodafone is much better
> (tower placement here) The Telstra signal in general seems inferior to
> vodafone in Perth (dont see how, dont they often share towers?) ... and
> theirs also the $$$$ saving each month!!
>
> Buy a vodafone prepay and test, or email me offline and I'll drop by and
> you can borrow my sim and test it on the spot.

I dont have that option - I dont pay for my mobile, hence go with the
carrier work decides.

I wasn't that concerned about the lack of coverage until we set up
environmental sensors to call me with major temperature variations.
(Both air cons tripped out last week during hte lightning storm)

Carl G