[plug] Xandros Desktop

Kev kdownes at tpg.com.au
Fri Aug 12 10:00:48 WST 2005

Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> When xandros was around 2.0, I believe it was genuinely the most newbie
> friendlt, and expert "not-harassing" distro out. It was genuinely
> integrated and it worked.

> I can only gather its progressed

The same applies now only more so.

> the only thing thats competed with it is ubuntu. The diference between the
> two is ubuntu is a more non-standard debian.

I have played a bit with Ubuntu/Kubuntu, and while they do look very
good, and I have tucked the experience away for future reference (for
when I don't want to pay for Xandros), I could hardly agree, that for a
newbie, Kubuntu is even in the same market.  Linspire is the ONLY other
distro I have found that is a genuine competitor to Xandros in the
newbie market, but it is just TOO proprietary for me.  Once I have
Xandros I don't *need* to pay any more money for patches/service packs,
or for applications.  The beauty of Xandros is that as a complete *nix
newbie I can be productive right now, and as I feel confident I can go
further and further into the bowels of Linux and learn as I go.  The
learning curve is as steep as I want it to be - not the usual vertical
precipice.

It's unfortunate, but factual, that until now, exceptionally few
PLUGgers have had any understanding at all of what a newbie needs or
wants.  I say "... until now ..." because now you've read from a newbie
who has told you that Xandros or Linspire are the entry points to Linux
for anyone who can't even spell Linix 2 out of 3 times.

So, if your Wintendo friends are reluctant to have a serious go at Linux
because it's just too daunting, (and it is to most people) then point
them at  http://www.xandros.com

> I *really* like xandros.
>
> Shame about the proprietry crap however.

I still *really* like it.

There is a free version which is identical except that it doesn't have
any of the 3rd party proprietary stuff, like nVidia drivers etc.  The
same service packs still apply to it, just like the pay for version, and
  they're freely available to anybody.

Hope that clarifies a few points for some people.

Cheers
Kev

Kev Downes
kdownes at tpg.com.au  ph 0404 7 0808 2
We use and recommend Xandros 3.0.1
There are 10 types of people ...
    ... those who understand binary, and those who don't!