[plug] Something is awfully wrong with this scenario. Jeremy?

skribe skribe at amber.com.au
Tue Aug 16 14:31:25 WST 2005

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 14:24, simon wrote:
> Craig Ringer (craig at postnewspapers.com.au) wrote:
> > The whole situation was evidently handled less than fantastically, but I
> > still don't understand why all this fuss is being made *now*. What about
> > two weeks ago, when all this happened?
>
> Dont you find it strange that most of us are only finding out about this
> now?

Not at all.  Maybe those of us who knew about it aren't particularly worried.

Plus I know if push comes to shove I can beat both Linus and Jeremy in an arm
wrestle =).

Nothing to see, move along.

skribe
--
Public key information available at:
http://www.amber.com.au/~skribe/publickey.html

I have sacrificed time, health, and fortune, in the desire to complete these
Calculating Engines.  I have also declined several offers of great personal
advantage to myself.  But, notwithstanding the sacrifice of these advantages
for the purpose of maturing an engine of almost intellectual power, and
after expending from my own private fortune a larger sum than the government
of England has spent on that machine, the execution of which it only
commenced, I have received neither an acknowledgement of my labors, not even
the offer of those honors or rewards which are allowed to fall within the
reach of men who devote themselves to purely scientific investigations...
	If the work upon which I have bestowed so much time and thought were
a mere triumph over mechanical difficulties, or simply curious, or if the
execution of such engines were of doubtful practicability or utility, some
justification might be found for the course which has been taken; but I
venture to assert that no mathematician who has a reputation to lose will
ever publicly express an opinion that such a machine would be useless if
made, and that no man distinguished as a civil engineer will venture to
declare the construction of such machinery impracticable...
	And at a period when the progress of physical science is obstructed
by that exhausting intellectual and manual labor, indispensable for its
advancement, which it is the object of the Analytical Engine to relieve, I
think the application of machinery in aid of the most complicated and abtruse
calculations can no longer be deemed unworthy of the attention of the country.
In fact, there is no reason why mental as well as bodily labor should not
be economized by the aid of machinery.
		-- Charles Babbage, "The Life of a Philosopher"

Xaraya Content Management Solutions http://www.xaraya.com/