[plug] Linux and DVD Audio/AC3

Mike Holland myk.list at westnet.com.au
Wed Aug 17 17:26:30 WST 2005

Trevor Phillips wrote:
> I'd really like to be able to extract the
> DD 5.1 audio to a separate file, for playback on PCs.

mplayer will copy it to an AVI file, but you need to save video too.
e.g. "mencoder dvd://1 -oac copy -o myfile.avi ..."

> Is this easy enough to do? What tools are the best to use to extract?

Easy except for the CSS business. So a simple demux tool will not work.

> I suspect mplayer would be able to do it if I juggle options around,
> but are there better ways?

Whats wrong with mplayer?

> What players support AC3 playback under linux, with support for the
> 5.1 speakers?

Google suggests a few, including mplayer and xine.
I havn't tried 5.1 output yet.  I'll download the 'nvaudio' driver
for my nforce board, and give it a go.