[plug] Linux and DVD Audio/AC3

Trevor Phillips trevor.phillips at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 13:14:26 WST 2005

On 8/17/05, Mike Holland <myk.list at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> Trevor Phillips wrote:
> > I'd really like to be able to extract the
> > DD 5.1 audio to a separate file, for playback on PCs.
>
> mplayer will copy it to an AVI file, but you need to save video too.
> e.g. "mencoder dvd://1 -oac copy -o myfile.avi ..."

That's the thing - it'd be nice to not require a video component if
all you want is the audio.
OGG is supposed to support multi-channel audio, but it's not AC3, so
conversion would be required, and that complicates things if you want
to go back out a S/PDIF later on...

> > I suspect mplayer would be able to do it if I juggle options around,
> > but are there better ways?
>
> Whats wrong with mplayer?

Just asking for alternatives - there might be something more specific
that does the job better. I certainly appreciate the bevy of
functionality mplayer offers.

--
Trevor Phillips  - http://jurai.murdoch.edu.au/
Web Technical Administrator  -  IT Services, Murdoch University