[plug] Online music services and Linux?

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Mon Aug 22 13:46:33 WST 2005

Mike Holland wrote:
> There is no 'legit' way to pay for and download mainstream MP3 music in
> Australia. The same for iPods.
>   It just like cassette players and VCRs. For decades, Australians have
> been setting their VCRs to record TV while they are out, or copying
> their CD collection to tape for use in the car or walkman. Its all
> illegal and we don't know or don't care.
>    So just buy or borrow the albums that you like and rip them.

There is a difference however, between breaking a stupid law, and theft
of someone's work. Sure, on the technicality of 'fair use' rules it is
debatable (and generally agreed that it's ok). However if it aint yours
and you come to possess it without permission, it is theft.
I will only pre-empt the comments like "but it's only big companies and
evil record labels that we're stealing from" with a request that you
look at what smarter, more knowledgeable people than me have said in
response to that in the past.

Cheers,
Greg.