[plug] Online music services and Linux?

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Tue Aug 23 09:43:57 WST 2005

Alex Nordstrom wrote:
> Let's not aid the music distribution establishment's disingenuous
> efforts to confuse copyright infringement with theft (the act of
> stealing). They are two completely distinguished areas of law that are
> very easy to tell apart.

Law-wise, I'm a simpleton. To me there are a small number of grand
general categories of things that the law says are bad (my knowledge of
the full number is very likely incomplete, however). Hurting a person
might be one, doing bad stuff in or with my car might be another. Having
something that I shouldn't have because of who owns it (or 'has rights
to it') is another. 'Theft' is a simple word[1] and for me nicely covers
both of the above[2].

Sure, if you want to be more correct than my
short-attention-span-for-legal-detail allows, they are separate. They're
  both wrong (IMHO) and illegal, however.

Cheesr,
Greg.

[1]It's also good if the need arises to explain to kids, who happen to
be very good at 'stealing' software/music/movies/etc.
[2] ie 'copyright infringements' and 'the act of stealing'