[plug] Online music services and Linux?

Leon Brooks leon at cyberknights.com.au
Tue Aug 23 11:31:40 WST 2005

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 09:43, Gregory Orange wrote:
> Law-wise, I'm a simpleton.

Keeping it simple, then:

  1. If I steal something, I deny you the use of it; that is the
     core and essence of the crime in stealing.

  2. If I copy one of your CDs, you still have both the CD and the
     music on it, so I have not stolen from you.

  3. The musicians, sincgers, publishing companies etc all still
     have every object that they had before I copied your CD, so I
     have not stolen from them.

  4. Ergo, copying music is not "stealing".

  5. Nor is it "piracy", which is basically stealing ships and/or
     their cargoes, with violence or threats or implications of
     violence.

If I take your CD, that is stealing. If I copy your CD without taking
it, that is not stealing. Simple.

Despite not being stealing in any sense of the word, acquiring any
copyrighted materials other than under the terms set by their owner(s)
is illegal. Don't do it.

Cheers; Leon

http://linux.org.au/            Member, Linux Australia