[plug] [OT] Soft Eng .vs. Comp Sci

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 26 12:14:59 WST 2005

I wouldnt be too quick to blame the career adviser.  I have been to a
few sessions at expos on behalf of Murdoch Uni and find that on the
other side of the fence that you are generally dealing with people
straight from/still at school who have no idea what they really want to
do (something with computers ...).  The few that have done their
homework and are focused are generally no problem - but they are really
few and far between.  Another factor is that individuals in this group
usually change their mind a few times (hence one reason for trying for a
large amount of commonality between first year courses) - after
experiencing the courses and talking to peers their view changes - the
category in which I see you.

Basically, dont fuss that you are changing, pick what you want to do and
choose the course, then the stream/electives to get you where you want
to go - if this requires changes so be it.  After graduation, you will
find that a) its the qualification i.e., piece of paper and the process
it represents is probably more important than the exact content, and b)
the job you will end up after graduation will in all likelyhood have
little to do with what you originally intended.

Dont worry, be happy - if not change until you are happy.

BillK

On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 11:48 +0800, Timothy White wrote:  I see the Uni's
generally equal in quality: its the focus on the focus