[plug] Source Mage - I'm not having fun yet...

Craig Dyke grail at westnet.com.au
Sun Aug 28 18:10:22 WST 2005

Jim

I have not run into all of the problems you have listed below but i can
tell you that the
root password thing is normally due to the cast of pam being buggered
before completing
and would require you to go into recovery mode and remove the securetty
file from /etc.

In number 2 I ma unsure as to what you mean by 'automatic network
access', but if
you were able to cast items then you must have some kind of internet
access. The circular
dependancies you mentioned is an old version of Sorcery problem I believe.

And number 3 I have not had before.

Of the many times I have installed, for one reason or another, my
process has been this:

1.   Follow CD instructions and defaults except for disk allocation
(like to have my own config here)
      and boot loader (have found that choosing Lilo first even if going
to grub later sems to work)
2.   Check Kernel config as default doesn't seem to catch some things
like xfs or sata.
3.   Once CD has completed and you have rebooted into fresh system,
update Sorcery ( sorcery -u ) as the first priority
      (I also normally change to 'devel' sorcery and 'test' grimoire)
4.   Download latest grimoire (scribe u)
5.   Update current spells to latest versions (sorcery -g)
6.   Rebuild entire system (sorcery -r)

Above process has worked on numerous occasions without incident.

I would also throw any curly questions you have to the sm-discuss list
as all the gurus are very helpful.

Hope that helps :)

Craig