[plug] Source Mage - I'm not having fun yet...

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Tue Aug 30 21:35:40 WST 2005

Craig Dyke wrote:
> Jim
>
> I have not run into all of the problems you have listed below but i can
> tell you that the
> root password thing is normally due to the cast of pam being buggered
> before completing
> and would require you to go into recovery mode and remove the securetty
> file from /etc.
>
> In number 2 I ma unsure as to what you mean by 'automatic network
> access', but if
> you were able to cast items then you must have some kind of internet
> access. The circular
> dependancies you mentioned is an old version of Sorcery problem I believe.
>
> And number 3 I have not had before.
>
> Of the many times I have installed, for one reason or another, my
> process has been this:
>
> 1.   Follow CD instructions and defaults except for disk allocation
> (like to have my own config here)
>      and boot loader (have found that choosing Lilo first even if going
> to grub later sems to work)
> 2.   Check Kernel config as default doesn't seem to catch some things
> like xfs or sata.
> 3.   Once CD has completed and you have rebooted into fresh system,
> update Sorcery ( sorcery -u ) as the first priority
>      (I also normally change to 'devel' sorcery and 'test' grimoire)
> 4.   Download latest grimoire (scribe u)
> 5.   Update current spells to latest versions (sorcery -g)
> 6.   Rebuild entire system (sorcery -r)
>
> Above process has worked on numerous occasions without incident.

I've had much better luck this time around.  I left step 6 running
overnight, and all but 5 spells completed ok.  I cast emacs and went out
for about 2 hours.  When I came back I had emacs.

Since then I rebooted, and have lost the network.  Any reference to eth0
results in a 'device not found' error.  This email is sent from the same
hardware using a different OS.

There is a very steep initial learning curve.  If it does not level off
soon, I will not be joining the fans of source-based distros.

Have to give it a try though.

Jim