[plug] R52 - ACPI - 18586MM

Matthew Lambie mlambie at thefrontiergroup.com.au
Wed Aug 31 15:30:53 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 12:38 +0800, Timothy White wrote:
> On 8/31/05, Onno Benschop <onno at itmaze.com.au> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > After searching the 'net and reading thinkwiki, I'm no wiser as to how
> > to make my R52 sleep or hibernate. I'm running Debian with a 2.6.11
> > kernel and no matter what I do, I cannot seem to figure it out. There
> > are other issues as well, as outlined below.
> >
> >    1. Pressing the "lid-close micro switch" turns off the back-light,
> >       and processes are stopped and modules are unloaded, but the
> >       machine doesn't actually go to sleep. Releasing it, starts
> >       processes and loads modules. For some reason mysql doesn't stop,
> >       even if the database isn't actually in use.
>
> This is something I've also had a problem with on my computer. I think
> it's a bug in MySQL or something, it doesn't support the sleep state
> properly or something. I believe a fix is to stop it with a
> 'pre-sleep' script and start it with a 'post-sleep' script.

The scripts that Ubuntu ship with make this easy. I use it to kill
Evolution on shutdown so that I don't have network loss errors on
resume.

For what it's worth, have you tried Ubuntu? I was
Debian-through-and-through, but Ubuntu's given me all the good stuff
from Debian with a much more "just works" attitude. Things like power
management, wireless and the other traditionally more trying aspects of
Linux system configuration quite often have worked out of the box for me
with Ubuntu.

In fact, the only reason I'd not use Ubuntu over Debian now is if I had
a Debian tattoo. But I don't :)
--

Thanks,

Matthew Lambie