[plug] Postfix Problems again (Spam Originating frommy mailserver)

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Dec 2 09:39:19 WST 2005

A comment: in a recent upgrade to apache on my home webserver (gentoo) I
made some errors in the config file, exposing a private script directory
that should have had htaccess protection.  I found it by seeing one IP
trying to upload files over the top of the scripts: the only protection
was I had set the permissions so apache (running as noboddy) could not
overwrite the scripts owned by somebody else.  About the same time an
upgrade to gallery left the gallery config page exposed as well - wasnt
accessed or was modifiable externally, but was less than ... ideal.  I
believe in multiple layers of protection so when one gets breached, its
not a total disaster - but I still worry when someone tries!

1. check and test configs after major updates to apache and web apps
2. check/test individual on a regular basis - e.g., scripts, gallery,
squirrelmail, ...
3. monitor logs
4. automonitor problem pages/webapps - I am thinking of screen
scraping/md5 summing pages that I am "sensitive" to if they change.  Is
there something out there that can do that, though it would be simple to
script using GET etc.

BillK